How do I create a class in Oxford Digital?
Who can create a class?
Any teacher can create and view classes for their school. If you have just registered a new Oxford Digital teacher account, your account must first be validated by another teacher at your school, or by contacting the Oxford Digital Support team.
Once verified/validated, you will then be able to view or join existing classes, and create new ones.
If you have a new Teacher account, follow these instructions for how to validate a new teacher account: How to validate a new teacher account.
There are two ways to create classes.
- You can either create individual classes (a quick option if you want to create a couple of classes for yourself),
- or create all classes for your school in bulk via a .csv file upload (perfect for school administrators who are tasked with creating all classes for their school at the start of the year).
Option 1: Create a single class
This is a quick and simple way to create a class, which doesn't require you to have any pre-prepared class data.
Simply create the class and share the class code with students so they can self-join. Easy!
As a teacher, login to your Oxford Digital account and select Manage Classes.
2. You are now in the Classes Overview page where you can view all classes created for your school. Use the Year, Level and Show drop-down menus to filter your view. A quick way to display just your own classes (if you have any yet) is to select My Classes from the Show
3. To create a class, select the +Create Class
4. In the window that will appear, enter the Year, Level and Class Name.
Then, scroll through the list of products to find the title/s you wish to link your class to.
To select a product, click the blue arrow to expand and then select the specific title from the expanded list by clicking the grey arrow.
Once selected, the arrow will turn green to confirm it has been selected. Select the red cross icon to remove the title.
Note: in most cases only one title is available for selection within a product, but if you have purchased a value pack product then you will have several titles to choose from. You can link as many titles (from within as many products) as you like to your class. If you can’t find the product you’re looking for listed, this means you do not have an active subscription for the product in your Library. Please contact the Oxford Customer Service team or your School’s Bookseller to request a subscription.
5. Once all fields are completed, select A confirmation screen will appear, select View Class to view and manage your new class in the Class Overview page. This is where you will also be able to add / remove students and teachers to your class. Follow these instructions for how to add Students to a class.
Option 2: Create multiple classes in bulk
To create multiple classes in bulk, you will need to have populated our .csv template with your pre-prepared class list data.
This means having the names and email addresses of all students / teachers required in each class you wish to create.
In addition, after creating the classes in bulk you will need to then link each class to a specific product.
This method is recommended for Librarians and School Administrators who are tasked with creating a large volume of classes across many year levels.
If you are an individual teacher wanting to create a class for yourself, we recommend you use the +Create Class button instead.
To create classes in bulk using the .csv file upload method, follow these steps:
1. As a teacher, login to your Oxford Digital account and select Manage Classes.
2. In the Classes Overview page, select Upload Class List.
3. In the window that appears, click Secondary Template to download a basic Excel spreadsheet template, also known as a CSV file. If you do not have access to Excel, you can open and edit the template in Notepad++.
4. Open the file and populate the template with the required information, including both student and teacher details. Mandatory fields are Year (e.g. 2021), Year Level (e.g. 7), First Name & Last Name, Email, and Role (e.g. student / teacher). The Student ID field is optional.
Ensure the email addresses in the Email column (column G) are not hyperlinked as this will cause an error. If emails are highlighted in blue, right click the column G header (or the individual cell) and select Remove Hyperlink.
5. Save the file to your computer and close the document. Ensure the file is saved in .csv format. When saving, click Yes on any dialogue boxes that appear.
6. Return to Oxford Digital and select Upload. Find the .csv file on your computer and upload it onto the system. A loading screen will appear.
7. Once the document has uploaded successfully, the class list will appear with the information you have provided. Click Next to confirm.
Toggle the Notify Class button to green to notify each user of their login details via email, if you choose to do so. Select Close & Send to complete the upload.
9. The new classes will now appear in the Classes tab. You will not have been added to each new class unless you included your own information in the .csv file, so to view the new classes make sure the Show filter is set to All Classes.
10. You now need to link each new class to a product in your Oxford Digital Library. You will see a grey hazard symbol with an error message next to each class that is missing the product link. Click the error message to open the Manage Class Products window.
To select a product, click the blue arrow to expand and then select a specific title from the expanded list by clicking the grey arrow. Once selected, the arrow will turn green. Click Save when done.