At the start of a school year, you will need to update existing members’ details (e.g. for student members going up a year level into a different class). This can be done in the two ways outlined in this help topic.
WARNING: Before proceeding with either method, please note that you will need to use a unique ID for each new student i.e. one that you have never used before for an existing student, or for a student who has been removed from the system. If you re-use an existing or past student’s unique ID with another student, then the new student name will override the existing student name, but the previous student's data will be retained. A student’s unique ID must remain with them for the entire time they are an online member of Oxford Literacy Assess and/or Oxford Literacy Independent.
Option 1: Export Member List
- Download the member export list (see Export member list ) and save it to your computer.
- Add new members to this template (see Create classes by spreadsheet upload ).
- Update details of existing members (i.e. calendar year, year level, class). It is unlikely that the information in the first name, last name, email and role fields) will need updating. As outlined in the warning above, a student’s unique ID should not change.
- Remove any members that are no longer required.
- Save the changes to the member list file.
- Upload the member list file (see Create classes by spreadsheet upload ).
Option 2 : Class-by-class
- From the classes : manage area, click create classes.
- Use the second option (i.e. without the template) to create the new class name for the upcoming school year (see Create classes). Note: existing class names (e.g. 2014 Year 2 Class 2B) that you wish to appear in the new school year must be created again with the new calendar year selected (e.g. 2015 Year 2 Class 2B).
- Click manage class. Your new class will appear.
- To add members, click find member. Please note that to add members using the find member function, you will need to ensure you have allocated OLA to the newly created class (see Allocate products to your classes ).
- In the Find field, select by class.
- Use the dropdown menu (on the left) to select the old class whose members you wish to move up into the new class (on the right). Note: Even if a teacher remains in the same class over a number of years (e.g. Year 2 Class 2B) they will need to be moved into the same class name in the upcoming year (i.e. they will need to be moved from 2014 Year 2 Class 2B into 2015 Year 2 Class 2B).
- To add members individually, click the tick next to the relevant members’ names in the add column. To add all members at once to the selected class, click add in the first row.
- Click save to save your changes.
- Repeat this process for each new class you create.
- To add a new Foundation class, it is recommended to add them in to the exported member list file of existing members as outlined in Option 1 of this help topic. Alternatively, you can fill in a new member upload template (see Create classes ).
- After members have been moved up a year, product needs to be allocated to their new classes. See Allocate products to your classes for how to do this.
- If your product has a member limit, members that are no longer at the school (e.g. the previous Year 6 class) should be deleted so they don’t count towards the member limit (see remove class ). Even once a student has been removed, you should not use their unique ID for a new student, as this will lead to the removed student’s data being linked to the new student – please refer to the warning at the start of this help topic.
- With Option 2, once members have been moved to a new class, they must be removed from their old class (see remove member ).