At the start of a school year, you will need to update existing student’s details (e.g. for students moving up a year level and into a different class). This can be done in two ways:
WARNING: Before proceeding with either method, please note that you will need to use a unique ID for each new student, i.e. one that you have never used before for an existing student or for a student who has been removed from the system. If you re-use an existing or past student’s unique ID with another student, then the new student name will override the existing student name, but the previous student's data will be retained. A student’s unique ID must remain with them for the entire time they use products on Oxford Owl Au.
Option 1: Export Class List
1. Download the class list export file (see Export class lists ) and save it to your computer.
2. Add new students (and teachers, if required) to this template (see Option 1, in the Create classes and add students article).
3. Update details of existing students (i.e. calendar year, year level, class). It is unlikely that the information in the first name, last name, student ID, and role fields will need updating since this will likely remain the same from year-to-year. As outlined in the warning above, a student’s unique ID should not change.
4. Remove any students who are no longer required.
5. Save the changes to the class list file. Make sure the file is saved in .csv format.
6. Upload the member list file using the Upload Class List button (see Create classes and add students ).
Option 2 : Class-by-class
1. In your Library, click either the School Admin tab or the School Admin button in quick links.
2. Create new classes individually for the upcoming new school year by selecting the +Create Class button. Remember, if you want to re-use existing class names (e.g. 2020 Year 2 Class 2B), you must re-create the classes again for the new calendar year (e.g. change to 2021 Year 2 Class 2B).
4. Enter the Year, Level and Class Name. Then, scroll through the list of products to find the title/s you wish to link your class to. To select a product, click the blue arrow to expand and then select the specific title from the expanded list by clicking the grey arrow. Once selected, the arrow will turn green to confirm it has been selected. Select the red cross icon to remove the title.
Note: in most cases only one title is available for selection within a product, but if you have purchased a value pack product then you will have several titles to choose from. You can link as many titles (from within as many products) as you like to your class. If you can’t find the product you’re looking for listed, this means you do not have an active subscription for the product in your Library. Please contact the Oxford Customer Service team or your School’s Bookseller to request a subscription.
5. Once all fields are completed, select Create. A confirmation screen will appear, select View Class to add existing (or new) students and teachers to your class.
6. To add existing students to your new class, select Find or Create to add students individually or Upload to add students in bulk into the class. If using the upload method, simply download the template, complete it and then click Upload and follow the prompts.
7. If using Find or Create, search for existing students (or teachers, if required) by entering their name and/or student ID and clicking Search. Matching results will appear under the Search Results heading. Select a user from the search results listed and click the green cross icon to add them to the class. Search for other users to add, and remember to select Save Class List when you’re done.
8. Once you close the Find and Create window, you will see all the students you have added to the class now appear in the class list. You can also edit and/or download / print student login cards from here.
Note: To add a new Foundation class, it is recommended to add them into the exported member list file of existing members as outlined in Option 1 of this help topic. Alternatively, you can fill in a new member upload template (see Create classes ).
With Option 2, once members have been moved to a new class, they must be removed from their old class (see delete students from a class ).